Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Clemence Gossett : Gourmandise Desserts

http://www.gourmandisedesserts.com/

My next class was with the perky and cute Clemence, whose passion for all things baking is matched by her eclectic range of knowledge.  Just check out her website and you'll see what I mean.  Many of her classes are held at the kitchen classroom of Surfas Restaurant Supply in Culver City , which gives you an opportunity (and 10% discount) to pick up specialty ingredients or supplies.   It's a culinary Toys R Us!  You can order on-line as well:  http://www.culinarydistrict.com/

My first class with her was Scones and Muffins.  Her class is a combination of demonstration and hands-on as each recipe is prepared.  Then we're sent home with the recipes (and a box filled with our delicious baked goods!) and encouraged to call or email her as questions arise when we repeat them on our own.  (She answered my email one morning within an hour!)  Using her recipes and tips, I have since made apricot/aniseed scones, chocolate chip/walnut scones, and blueberry muffins.  Her recipes are so good that I have retyped them in larger print and added them to my baking notebook.  I plan to include them in my blog as I bake and photograph in weeks to come!

My second class two weeks later was Gourmet Cupcakes.  I came away with recipes for the most moist Chocolate Decadence cake and chocolate ganache filling (and topping as far as I'm concerned) and my husband's favorite--a recipe for marshmellows.  (I added peppermint extract to the marshmellows when I made them the next day--and my husband ordered a weekly supply!)

Clemence's classes are much less expensive than other "recreational" classes, and she gives excellent advice and tips for the more serious baker.  I've been considering taking a professional series of classes and am researching local schools, but I think I could learn just as much, and for less, with Clemence.  I just love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment