Monday, March 22, 2010

Most Requested Cookies!

There are two different cookies that I make regularly: Scharffen Berger Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies for my husband Bruce and Coconut Oatmeal Cookies for my son and daughter, Dean and Claire. 

Bruce loves my Oatmeal cookies so much that I make the dough, keep it refrigerated, and then bake 6-9 fresh cookies every couple of days until it's time to make a new batch. I used to make them with just chopped walnuts until my daughter gave me a gift of Scharffen Berger baking chunks (fine artisan dark chocolate) and I decided to add a few to each oatmeal cookie.  They were better than any chocolate chip cookie I've ever tasted.  Now I almost always include them; in fact I order  my supply of chocolate baking chunks via the internet since I can't find them locally.

Dean and Claire's favorites are Coconut Oatmeal cookies.  Whenever they come to visit, I bake enough to send home with both of  them. 

            Scharffen Berger Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
  
For the most part, I follow the recipe for oatmeal cookies found under the Quaker Oats lid, but I omit raisins and add chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts instead.

1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt

½ pound (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened      
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar         
 ½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs                                                       
1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups Quaker Oats (old- fashioned, uncooked)
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
*Scharffen Berger baking chunks

  • Heat oven to 350°
  • Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and set aside. (flour mixture)
  • In stand mixer on low-medium, mix butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.
  • Add flour mixture. Mix until combined.
  • Add oats, then walnuts until combined.
  • Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. I press *three chocolate baking chunks   onto the tops of each unbaked cookie at this point.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes @ 350 ° until golden brown. Do not over-bake.
  • Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; then remove to wire rack.
I also use this recipe without chocolate for a less sweet, but still very delicious, Oatmeal cookie.


Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


Sift together flour mixture:                         Cream:
1 cup all-purpose flour                       ½ cup butter or margarine
½ teaspoon baking powder               ½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt                                ½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda                  1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
                             ½ cup old fashion oats uncooked
                                   1 cup flaked coconut

  • Heat oven to 350°
  • Sift flour mixture; set aside
  • Cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture until combined.
  • Add oats and flaked coconut.
  • Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle top of each with pinch of coconut flakes.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes @ 350 ° until golden brown. Do not over-bake.
  • Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; then remove to wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie.

    I really enjoy reading your blog and am jealous of all the fun things that you're baking! Two of my very favorite ingredients are coconut and oatmeal, I can't wait to try your cookie recipe. Thank you for being so generous and informative. Look forward to hearing about your future successes in the kitchen. P.S. I like the red and yellow!
    Maura

    ReplyDelete