Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lemon Zesty Vanilla-Yogurt Muffins


If you're in the mood for something sweet but not too sweet, then these are perfect.  I got this recipe from my Williams Sonoma Baking Book that my son Dean got me for Mother's Day, but I tweaked it a bit to fit my taste. The muffins are moist, delicious, and lemon zesty!  It's quick and easy.  (I used organic products when I could find them.)

(Yep, you may notice a new countertop!  We had the kitchen done in just a few hours by Granite Transformation http://granitetransformation.com/  It's a granite overlay that goes right over the existing counter--in our case tile--and is done without demolition or disruption.  They come out to measure and make a template one day and install the next week. They were literally in and out in 4 hours. I love it!  Now I can roll fondant and knead bread dough on a smooth, cool surface.)

Lemon Vanilla-Yogurt Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
grated zest and juice of one lemon
1 1/4 cups vanilla yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5 T unsalted butter, melted

Topping;
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp mace (or 1/4 tsp nutmeg) or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
(whatever spice you prefer--I might try anise seed sometime as well)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin tins with baking spray or line with paper cups.

In a bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and lemon zest. 

Make a well in the center and add the yogurt, eggs, melted butter, lemon juice, and mix with a whisk until thoroughly combined.  The batter will be a bit lumpy.  That's it!  Quick and easy!

Now spoon into muffin cup almost to the top.  Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle each muffin generously or lightly, depending on your preference.

Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    I'm glad you had a great time, I'm surprised that you're back so soon! I can almost hear Roger barking, he is sooo cute. Certainly the artist deseves a huge applause!!
    Malika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't he adorable? He truly is life-like in person!

    ReplyDelete