Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's That Time of Year: I Graduated!


Thursday was my last Pro Baking class at The New School of Cooking .  I will miss my weekly trip out to Culver City--though not the drive in rush hour traffic on the 101/405 freeways!  Carol Cotner Thompson, our instructer, was fabulous. I would recommend the school to anyone interested in learning more about cooking or baking.  There are both professional and recreational level classes.  I enjoyed every aspect of my class.  The mutual love of baking and the controlled chaos in the kitchen always made for an exciting Thursday morning, not to mention the yummy baked goods I took home every week. 

For me the class ended where it had actually begun--with chocolate croissants.  I remember watching Meryl Streep bake them for Steve Martin in the  movie It's Complicated and thinking, I want to learn how to do that.  In fact, when I started looking for classes, that was one of my criteria: Will they teach me about croissants?  So it was only appropriate that on my last day we made them. Chocolate croissants, regular crescent-shaped croissants, and delicious apple turnovers. Actually the turnovers were the biggest hit with all of my tasters--even for me!  
                                    

So now it's time to take what I've learned and practice until I perfect each one.  I'll be posting photos and recipes with tips about what technique works best or what ingredients can be tweaked.  Not sure where to begin--cakes, cupcakes, pies, artisan breads, muffins, creme brulee, souffles, cookies, croissants, apple turnovers...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment