Monday, June 28, 2010

Orange Zesty Zucchini Bread


There is nothing I love more than my morning coffee--except perhaps waking up and remembering that I baked something that goes great with that morning coffee.  While I enjoyed my lemon muffins last week, yesterday I baked a zucchini bread that had me hopping out of bed early this morning.  What makes it especially tasty are the spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, & cloves and the orange zest. I added two heaping tablespoons of zest but next time I think I'll add three. The freshly grated zucchini adds moisture and the walnuts (sorry Sean!) add crunch. I made two loaves and froze one, but the first loaf is going so fast, I probably didn't need to freeze number two after all!  Again, quick and easy recipe.  Smells good while preparing and baking, and tastes as good as it smells. 

Dry ingredients:
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (ground or freshly grated if possible)
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Wet ingredients:
 2 1/2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (drain liquid a bit if too wet)
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2-3 Tbsp grated orange zest

1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans

(Makes 2 loaves--8 1/2 inch loaf pans.)

Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour pans.

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  (You can sift or use a whisk to distribute and mix well.)

2. In a large bowl, mix wet ingredients by hand until evenly blended.

3. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until evenly incorporated--but don't over-mix.

4.  Fold in the nuts. (I also place walnut halves on top of the bread, partly to please my husband who likes extra of everything and also to alert anyone who might be allergic to walnuts, like my step-son Sean.)

5. Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until done.  Edges will be golden and pull away from sides.  Toothpick comes out clean.

6.  Cool in pan a few minutes then remove from pan and cool on racks.
 
Enjoy!
Basic recipe from:



No comments:

Post a Comment