Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crème Brûlée! is Easier Than Pie!

 I have to admit that I was a bit worried about over-cooking the eggs in the custard, setting up the bain marie, and working with the chef's torch, but all of it turned out just fine.  In fact, I can't tell you how easy it is to prepare this lovely dessert. (Actual recipe--see previous entry.)

I began by putting the eggs and sugar in a bowl and heating the cream in a pan until it bubbled on the edges and moved a just bit in the center.  Then I slowly tempered the heated cream into the egg mixture, a small amount at a time, adding 1 tsp vanilla extract to the combined mixture (since I didn't have vanilla beans).   I strained the custard into another bowl, poured it into ramekins, and placed them on a half sheet lined with a towel.
                                                                                                                  
                                  


I carefully put them in the oven and then poured hot water into the tray, filling it until it reached about 1/3 up the sides of the bowls. 
                   
I baked them about 25 minutes until they shook evenly when I tapped the side.  Then I cooled them on a rack for 30 minutes and covered each with plastic wrap and placed them in the frig.         
It's best to let them set for at least 6 hours before bruleeing and serving, but they can keep for up to 3 days. So as pointed out before, you can make them ahead of time and simply torch and serve when needed!
                                               
The next evening, I sprinkled a layer of sugar on each, smoothing it evenly across, lit the torch, and carefully bruleed back and forth until a nice layer of caramelized sugar formed.  They were wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment