Monday, May 3, 2010

Experimenting with Form

Baking sourdough bread is now part of my weekly routine.  I keep refreshing my mother starter, creating a sourdough starter, and then baking about every three or four days.  Now I'm experimenting with the form of the bread--beyond baguettes and batards (torpedo loaves). I tried my hand at epis which are meant to resemble shafts of wheat.  You make cuts in proofed baguette dough and twist each section to alternating sides.
If you love the crust more than the crumb--like my husband--these are perfect.  You just tear and eat.
  
And then there is a  fougasse (ladder shape) and a boule (rounded shape).
The fougasse is flatter than it appears in this photo--again more crust so needs to be torn and eaten fairly soon, whereas the boule can be sliced and keeps fresh a bit longer.

As for my baking class--last week was chocolate:
I still prefer my bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment